Types of Benefits

What Are Workers' Compensation Benefits?

If you suffer a job-related injury or disease, you may be entitled to receive compensation for medical care, lost wages, or other related benefits and/or services, depending upon your individual situation. Note: Your employer's insurance carrier or your employer, if self-insured, is responsible for payment of your workers' compensation benefits if the injury or disease is found to be compensable.



Different Types of Workers' Compensation Benefits

Medical Care

  • Your employer's workers' compensation insurance company pays for "reasonable and necessary" medical care to treat your job-related injury or disease.

  • Such care usually includes, but is not limited to, payment for emergency medical care, doctor bills, x-rays, medications, hospitalization, crutches, and some travel expenses required for medical care.

  • You are not responsible for the cost of medical treatment covered by workers' compensation. Bills for medical treatment are to be sent by the medical care provider directly to the insurance carrier, or to the employer if self-insured.

Temporary Disability Benefits

If your physician confirms that you cannot work because of your job-related injury or disease, you may be eligible for temporary total disability benefits until you are released to return to work or your condition has reached a point of maximum improvement. You normally qualify for time-loss benefits (compensation for lost wages) if your injury or disease causes you to miss more than five days of work, or you are hospitalized as an in-patient.

If you are able to return to part-time or modified work while you are still recovering from your injury or disease, and you are receiving less than your usual earnings, you may be entitled to temporary partial disability benefits.

Permanent Disability Benefits

  • If it is determined that the result of your job-related injury or disease is permanent, but that you will be able to return to the same or some other  type of work, you will receive benefits for your permanent partial impairment and/or disability.

  • The benefits you receive and how long you receive them depends on the extent of your permanent impairment or disability.

  • If it is determined that you are totally and permanently disabled as a result of a job-related injury or disease, you may receive income benefits for an extended period of time. If such a total and permanent disability was partly caused by a previous injury or condition, the Industrial Special Indemnity Fund may pay some of your benefits.

Death Benefits

  • If you die of a job-related injury or disease, your surviving spouse usually receives benefits for 500 weeks. (Benefits will change if your spouse remarries). Your children (up to a maximum of 3) ordinarily receive benefits until they are 18 years of age. The amount of these benefits depends on the average weekly state wage.

  • If the death occurred within four (4) years of the job-related injury or disease, the law provides some compensation for funeral expenses.

  • To discuss the specific details regarding the benefits for which you may be entitled, contact an Industrial Commission Compensation Consultant by calling (208)334-6000 or toll free (800)950-2110.

Rehabilitation Services

If you have suffered a job-related injury or disease, the Industrial Commission Rehabilitation Division provides rehabilitation services and consultants to assist you in returning to employment in a position as close as possible to your pre-injury status and wage. The consultants do not work for employers, insurance companies, attorneys or anyone else involved in the workers' compensation process. Instead, they are employees of the Industrial Commission and serve as professionals who are neutral and objective in their efforts to assist you in your recovery.

For more information about the service provided by the Industrial Commission Rehabilitation Division, refer to the section entitled RETURNING TO WORK.